Deadline: August 1, 2017
Applications are now available for OpenCon 2017 happening on November 11-13 in Berlin, Germany! OpenCon is the conference and community for students and early career academic professionals who are interested in advancing Open Access, Open Education and Open Data. On a yearly basis, OpenCon converges a diverse, representative, and engaged community of attendees, with travel scholarship opportunities available to most attendees. For this reason, attendance at OpenCon 2017 is by application only.
OpenCon is more than a conference. It’s a disruptive launchpad for the next generation to learn about Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data, develop critical skills, and mobilize action toward a more open system for sharing the world’s information—from scholarly and scientific research, to educational materials, to digital research data.
The advantages of applying for OpenCon 2017 extend far beyond attending the Berlin conference. It’s a chance to locate partners, get connected with scholarships to participate in related conferences, and be acknowledged by the community for the work you do to support Open Access, Open Education and Open Data.
The application includes the chance to apply for a travel scholarship. Scholarship money is available for the following expenditure:
- Return tickets to and from Berlin, Germany
- Shared lodging during the nights of the conference
- Registration fee that covers registration and most meals
- Visa application fees (if needed)
For scholars (those who are awarded scholarship), their invitation will specify which of the above expenses are included. Please note that scholarships do not include travel to and from the airport. Also, meals that are not given at the conference, insurance, or other incidental expenses. Note that due to the number of scholarships we will be granting, we cannot process any reimbursements from receipts. Therefore fund will only apply to travel and lodging booked through OpenCon’s travel agency.
- Students of all levels, early career researchers, and young professionals from all countries in fields related to scholarly and scientific research (e.g. librarians, publishers, advocates, etc)
- Applicants must be at least eighteen years to attend OpenCon 2017.
- OpenCon wants to support those who have ideas for new projects and initiatives in addition to those who are already leading them.
- The most important criteria is an interest in advancing Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data and a commitment to taking action
Beyond the Conference
While attendance at the main conference in Berlin is by application only, everyone is invited to participate freely in the interactive webcast, OpenCon 2017 Live. OpenCon is also looking for partners to host satellite events—meetings that combine themes from the global conference with local presentations, workshops, and discussions to advance the conversation around Open in your local community.
In 2016, there were 28 OpenCon satellite events in twenty countries—all thanks to the incredible hosts, who included students, scientists, librarians, researchers, and advocates from around the world who are working hard to increase action around Open Access, Open Data, and Open Education. To express interest in hosting your own satellite event and get more information, please visit OpenCon 2017 Satellite.