Application Deadline: October 31st 2018
The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship was established as a specialised unit at the UCT Graduate School of Business (GSB) in 2011, in partnership with the Bertha Foundation, a family foundation that works with inspiring leaders who are catalysts for social and economic change.
In early 2018, the Bertha Centre celebrated six years of pioneering work in the field, with the inaugural Centre Review. Through this partnership (Foundation & Centre) the GSB strengthens its commitment to transformation and equality and UCT’s strategic goal to address key development challenges facing Africa.
The Bertha Foundation supports activists, storytellers and lawyers across the world, who are working to bring about social and economic justice, and human rights for all. The Bertha Scholars at the GSB are part of this global Bertha Foundation network.
- The Bertha Scholarship covers full or partial costs of the MBA (both full-time and the modular programme) and MPhil in Inclusive Innovation programmes at the University of Cape Town’s Graduate School of Business.
- The scholarship entails joining an illustrious cohort of alumni, and a thriving community of dynamic change makers. Being a scholar is about joining a collective, as much as it is about propelling your own professional and personal trajectory.
You are eligible for a Bertha Scholarship:
- if you meet the admission requirements of the university for your selected course of study.
- if you are an African citizen or permanent resident.
- if you are an entrepreneur who has started or worked with a social/green/entrepreneurial innovative idea that seeks social and/or economic change.
- if you are an intrapreneur who has worked on advancing social justice and pioneering inclusive opportunities through social innovation within an organisation.
- if you demonstrate strong leadership qualities within your field.
How to Apply:
If you are interested, follow these steps to apply:
- Submit your MBA or MPhil in Inclusive Innovation programme application before the respective deadlines to the GSB.
- Submit the GSB Scholarship Application Form which should include:
- Your UCT GSB application number received from the GSB Admissions Office
- Your contact details and your CV uploaded.
- Your answers to the three essay questions, which shows how the degree programme at this stage in your career will help to accelerate impact in your area of work/interest and how it will contribute to society as a whole.
- Your short video[should not be longer than 4 minutes].
- In the choice of scholarship on the application form, remember to select the option for Focus on Social Innovation & Social Entrepreneurship (Bertha Scholarship).
Note: You will only be able to take up the Bertha Scholarship if you are successfully admitted to the UCT GSB programme for which you have applied.
|1. Applications Open||1 August|
|2. Application Deadline||31 October|
|3. Scholarship shortlisting (internal committee meeting)||19 – 20 November|
|4. Shortlisted applicants invited for interview||23 November|
|5. Interviews||26 – 27 November|
|6. Scholarship committee meeting (internal)||4 – 5 December|
|7. Scholarships offered||7 December|
Contact The Bertha Centre
Tel: +27 (0)21 406 1524 / 1514 or +27 (0)76 365 4440
For More Information: